Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula scheduled task does not run

2015-02-13 08:10:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula scheduled task does not run
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 08:08:52 -0500
On 2/2/2015 6:11 AM, navbor wrote:
> I have successfully set up Bacula on Ubuntu 12.04 server to run some back /
> restore jobs. However, this is only from the console program. Whenever the
> scheduled job runs, there are errors. Primarily permission issues.
>
> When I run the console program, I am root. However, the directory that I am
> backing up too has full rights for user = bacula. Also user bacula owns these
> directories.

There are three daemons involved, bacula-fd, bacula-sd, and bacula-dir.
The bacula-fd daemon is the client. It must have permissions to read all
of the files it is to backup. Often, bacula-fd must run as root in order
to backup files and directories that are only accessible by root.

The bacula-dir daemon generally runs as bacula:bacula, as it only needs
read/write access to its own work and spool directories.

The bacula-sd daemon does the actual writing to backup volumes. It often
runs as bacula:tape and needs read/write access to the tape drive(s) and
the bacula work directory.

Also, if you are using selinux or apparmor then you must make sure the
Bacula daemons have access to what they need.