Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Weird recursive issue [SOLVED]

2015-02-13 06:50:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Weird recursive issue [SOLVED]
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Luc Van der Veken <lucvdv AT wimionline DOT com>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:45:25 +0100
The correct way to understand what Bacula is doing is that

File = c:/
File = d:/

Means to walk down the C: drive and the D: drive and do what is
specified in the options block(s).  It does not mean to backup
everything only that files found on those drives are to be considered.

Then Bacula for each file it finds in C: and D: looks at the Options
block(s) to decide for each file whether to include it or exclude it.

Note there is an implicit "Include every file" after the last Options{}
block; this is to ensure that if there are no Options blocks or if not
Options block matches a file, the file will be included.

Knowing the above, one then just looks at what the Options{} blocks do
for each file.

Please see below ...

On 13.02.2015 08:13, Luc Van der Veken wrote:
> From: Bill Arlofski
>> If this is true, it seems like the v7 behavior is the correct behavior, so...
>> problem solved I guess. :)
> I fail to see the logic in that, but then I may be misunderstanding something.
>
>   Include {
>     Options {
>       Exclude = Yes
>       Wilddir = */Temp
>     }
>     File = C:/
>     File = D:/
>   }
>
> Means to me: back up C and D, excluding what's specified in the options
> section, i.e. excluding Temp directories.

That is not really the way it works.  Whether or not each file is to be
backed up is *always* determined by the Options blocks.  The File
statements just select files to be examined by the Options blocks.

>   Include {
>     Options {
>       Exclude = Yes
>     }
>     File = C:/
>     File = D:/
>   }
>
> Means to me: back up C and D, excluding what's specified in the options
> section, i.e. excluding absolutely nothing.

In this case, the exclude applies to every file that comes into the
options block because there are no other restrictions in the form of
wild cards, ...

Best regards,
Kern