Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] A user comment

2015-02-07 05:49:06
Subject: [Bacula-users] A user comment
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, bacula-devel <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 11:43:50 +0100
Hello,

I think that everyone might be interested in my response to a private email.

In sending me a signed FLA, a user sent this comment:

My opinion is almost the same as (name removed) though; I never even heard of Bareos until this lawsuit came up. Not putting anything in the git repositories for a year, then removing Windows support from the code and staying silent while the commercial version was progressing has not surely contributed to the "free" appearance of Bacula.

That said, I'm really happy development has continued. And for Bareos, the only thing I still hear about it is your mails in the mailing list; so I'm not even sure about its health.

I understand this fully and don't take it as a criticism. My goal in writing about the lawsuit was not to hide the fact that there is a fork of Bacula (there are actually two -- see the Bacula Wikipedia for more info), but rather to point out that not all open source projects follow the same rules of ethics and requirements for Copyright Assignment Agreements that I use.  Note the Copyright Assignment was formerly called FLA, but I have changed the name to avoid confusion with the FLA issued by the FSFE) that I use.  Also, since Bacula Systems is and has been the largest single contributor to the Bacula project since 2008 (exactly what I wanted), information about this lawsuit is obviously very important to community members.

Concerning putting nothing into the git repository for a year: that is true and unfortunate. A good part of that time was that I wanted to understand more about the fork as well as implement the most important new features that they had developed over a 3 year period (according to them -- from 2010 to 2013).  I also remained silent concerning Bareos from February 2013 when their fork was announced until late November 2013, and the only reason I responded at that time, was that the Bareos team had been trotting around various conferences in Europe repeating what I consider to be very misleading and incorrect information about the Bacula project. I guess it took me some time to digest all that, and to a very small extent, I am still digesting it. I am not offering this as an excuse but merely as an explanation of what happened, and I accept all such comments or criticisms.

Concerning the removing of Windows support:  Building the Windows version has always been rather complicated, and the community version has lagged quite a lot behind the Enterprise version.  Since Bacula Systems is not yet ready to release the source changes to competitors and I could no longer find the time to build and support two version, Bacula Systems made their binaries available at a very reasonable price.  I am working on a longer term more satisfactory solution that I had hoped to release early this year, but it will be delayed until June.

Concerning the second paragraph: yes, development is still continuing at an even faster pace, and the fruits of it will show up in the next release that I am planning for June of this year.  Concerning Bareos: given that I haven't seen any major development in the last year and that the buzz around Bareos seems to be nil, I suppose I might do better to stop writing about them :-)

I assure that the community version of Bacula is 100% free, and it will remain so, and because the licensing is carefully controlled you can be sure in using it that you will not have any surprises, which is not the case with all cloned software.

Had the Bareos fork been a normal open source fork without hostilities and without alleged unauthorized public releasing of proprietary software, the issues mentioned would probably never would have happened, and we all could have benefited from new ideas and faster evolution of open source backup software.

Thank you for the comments, as it helps me better understand how users perceive the Bacula project.

Best regards,
Kern