Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Job auto-pruning and automatic volume recycling with disabled pool auto-pruning

2015-02-06 04:52:29
Subject: [Bacula-users] Job auto-pruning and automatic volume recycling with disabled pool auto-pruning
From: Heiko Wundram <modelnine AT modelnine DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 10:30:00 +0100
Hey all,

I've set up job/file pruning on all clients (i.e., AutoPrune = yes) that
are backed up by my Bacula instance, but I'm wondering (the
documentation isn't really clear on this) whether that's enough to cause
volumes to be recycled when no more jobs are bound to a volume. I've
disabled AutoPrune on by storage (file-based) pool due to the fact that
the clients have very different retainer times (depending on the
criticality of the system and the storage amount), and basically the
only option to be able to recycle volumes based on AutoPruning of
volumes would be to set the volume retention time to the maximum of all
client retention times.

Will volumes become marked as Purged once all jobs are pruned for the
clients that are bound on this volume, or will I have no volume
recycling at all with the setup that I've done presently? I know that
this means that some volumes won't become recycled, even though only
very little "actual" catalog data is left on them, but that's something
that I'm willing to have.

Thanks for any hint!

--
--- Heiko Wundram.