Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Should I have a server in every location?

2015-01-26 22:42:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Should I have a server in every location?
From: Bryn Hughes <linux AT nashira DOT ca>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:39:40 -0800
You should have a storage server in each location for sure.  You COULD run a single director but it would make more sense to run a director at each location, at least in my mind.

You'll need Bacula v7.0 or later to get this all working properly, but what you'd do:

- Run your regular backups at each site, using the on-site storage and director.
- At some later time, run a 'Copy' job that makes a copy of all the backed up jobs at each site to another site.

Each site would do all of its own restores etc locally, but should the local copy be destroyed you'd have another copy off-site that could be used.

You will need a separate set of storage at each site for the local stuff vs. the off-site stuff - this can be as simple as a different directory defined in the storage daemon's configuration if you are using disk-based backups.

Bryn