Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows File Daemon maximum speed at 36 MByte/s

2014-12-01 11:35:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows File Daemon maximum speed at 36 MByte/s
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: Patrick <jummo4 AT yahoo DOT de>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 11:33:20 -0500
On 11/29/2014 5:43 AM, Patrick wrote:
Hi Josh,

Thanks for your reply.

You can try to isolate the problem. Try running a Windows backup with
VSS, compression, and encryption all turned off. Compare a Windows VM
against a Linux VM on the same host if possible.
I don’t use compression or encryption, but VSS. I disabled VSS and get about 40 MByte/s. If I also set acl support = no, I get about 43 MByte/s.
It’s better, but far away from the 90 MByte/s from a linux box with similar data.

Last night I have took a look at the bacula console during the full backups and could see one Windows clients with 65 MByte/s. This server hosts a SQL Server with big database dump files. The Bacula File Daemon is faster with big files.

How can I tune the Bacula File Daemon to increase the transfer rate for a lot of small files? Can I set the maximum memory usage? Is a ramdisk which collects the files from the hard drive and send it as bunches to bacula possible?

You can change the MaximumNetworkBufferSize to 32k in both the client and SD configurations. Slowdowns of Windows clients have been noted before for 64k+ buffer sizes.

You might also consider tweaking the NTFS filesystem on the Windows client. The filesystem parameters are in HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/Control/FileSystem. Setting the DWORD value NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate to nonzero will prevent a write to the disk each time a file is accessed. It is equivalent to the noatime option of ext4, so can definitely impact jobs like bacula-fd that are reading lots of files.

During the full backup the bacula-fd.exe process on one windows host has the following memory statistics (from Process Explorer)

Private Bytes 9.884 K
Peak Private Bytes 688.128 K
Virtual Size 120.144 K
Page Faults 234.738