Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Dell autochanger not changing

2014-10-03 14:00:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Dell autochanger not changing
From: Russ Button <russell AT telmate DOT com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 10:25:49 -0700

On 10/02/2014 07:43 PM, Ana Emília M. Arruda wrote:
Hi Russ,

First of all, you said that you have LTO-6 tapes. So, I recomend you specify it in your Device name definition, that will avoid some confusion in the future:

Device {
  Name = ML6000-LTO6-0
}

Good idea.  Will do.

A second question is: don't you have barcodes? Are you sure you're going to work without barcode labels? If you're not going to work with barcodes, you should use the "label" command for labeling the tapes (before you should guarantee they are ready for labeling with mt -f /dev/st0 rewind and weof). The add command, as it tells you when you run it, doesn't labeled your volumes and you need this.

So, use the "label" or "label barcodes" commands, they will label your volumes and records them corretly in the bacula catalog (MediaId, name, slot, inchanger flag, etc.)

The first time I tried to do the install, I was working with CentOS 6.5, which had bacula version 5.0.0 in its yum repository.   The tapes all have barcodes, so in bconsole, I ran "label barcodes".  bacula successfully loaded each tape into the tape drive and labeled the tapes from the barcode.   mtx-changer reported:

[root@bacula bacula]# ./mtx-changer /dev/sg8 list 0 /dev/nst0 0
1:000005
2:000004
3:000003
4:000002
5:000001
6:000010
7:000009
8:000008
9:000007
10:000006
11:000015
12:000014
13:000013
14:000012
15:000011
16:000020
17:000019
18:000018
19:000017
20:000016
21:000025
22:000024
23:000023
24:000022
25:000021
26:000030
27:000029
28:000028
29:000027
30:000026

But when I tried to run a local backup job, I got an error that read:

29-Sep 20:52 bacula-dir JobId 13: Fatal error: bsock.c:488 Packet size too big from "Storage daemon:bacula.oak.telmate.cc:9103. Terminating connection.

The FAQ at the bacula website :

http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/problems/problems/Bacula_Frequently_Asked_Que.html#SECTION002330000000000000000

suggested that this was a known issue and that it was advised to upgrade to a newer version of bacula, which is why I re-installed with CentOS 7.0 and bacula 5.2.13-18.

I tried running "label barcodes", but it errors out saying that the tapes are already labeled,  which is why I ran the "add pool=Default storage=ML6000-LTO3-0".   I assumed it would read the labels already on the tapes, but instead ran me through the dialog I posted earlier.

So far as I can tell, the tapes are now labeled and in the catalog, or am I mistaken about that?   Going back to my earlier e-mail, you can see what bconsole - "list media" shows.  It seems to me that bacula just isn't properly running the autochanger.

I'm totally OK with going back to zero on this, whatever that is, but if the tapes are already labeled, "label barcodes" doesn't get it done.

I'll respond to Rodoslaw's note in a separate e-mail.

Russ