Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Looking for recommendations on how to backup a Postgresql database using Bacula

2014-08-29 14:17:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Looking for recommendations on how to backup a Postgresql database using Bacula
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: Jesper Krogh <jesper AT krogh DOT cc>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:12:25 -0500
On 08/29/2014 12:48 PM, Jesper Krogh wrote:
> On 20/08/2014, at 23.22, Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu> wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I usually pg_dump the schema to a text file and run a script that
>> does '\copy ... to csv' for each table. Then commit them to git or rcs
>> repository right there. Then rsync the repository to a couple of other
>> servers. No bacula needed.
>
> That is not going to give you a backup gauranteed to be consistent.

It will give *me* a consistent backup, but in general you're right: it
won't. (Wrapping it in a single transaction can be problematic.)

The other problem is, like pg_dump it only works up to a point. Once
your .csv's grow to a couple of gigabytes you'll have the same problems
as with one huge pg_dump file. Dep. on the data and update frequency the
deltas can grow into gigabytes even faster and kill your i/o on both vcs
commits and repo sync. Again, *my* csv's aren't expected to get that big
anytime soon, YMMV.

So buyer beware, when it breaks you get to keep the pieces, and all that.
--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin