Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Looking for recommendations on how to backup a Postgresql database using Bacula

2014-08-20 16:37:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Looking for recommendations on how to backup a Postgresql database using Bacula
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Jonathan Bayer <linuxgurugamer AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 16:34:58 -0400
On Aug 19, 2014, at 8:59 AM, Jonathan Bayer <linuxgurugamer AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:

> We have a small cluster running Alfresco.  The web software is on
> server1 and the database is on server2.
>
> We have Bacula community version 7.0.5
>
> Bacula client is installed on server1 for now.  Obviously, server1 can
> access server2's database.
>
> I'm wondering how others have solved this problem.  I have a couple of
> options here:
>
> 1.  Do a pg_dump on server1 (it has the space) and then backup the dump file
> 2.  Do the same on server2 instead
> 3.  Set up a PITR backup on server2
> 4.  Do a simple file system backup.  This requires shutting down the
> database while the backup is in progress.
>
> so, I'm curious.  Any responses?

I would run the pg_dump on server1.  That way, your copy is not on server2
should server 2 die.

Backup that dump file.

Do not delete the file after the backup.  Keep it available in case it’s needed.

On a regular basis, rsync that file, and your *.conf file to a few other safe
places.

Document those locations.

The goal: have the configuration and the database dump available should server1
die.

—
Dan Langille