Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] suddenly not connecting to client

2014-08-28 21:56:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] suddenly not connecting to client
From: "John Stoffel" <john AT stoffel DOT org>
To: gary AT extremeground DOT com
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:34:14 -0400

Gary> For some reason my Bacula server isn't connecting to a Windows 7 client.
Gary> I've been having some problems with the client computer but they seem to
Gary> be settled now except for this one. I've disabled the Windows firewall
Gary> to try to resolve the problem, but that didn't work.

Gary> I'm seeing this in the bconsole messages:
Gary>    Non-fatal FD errors:    2
Gary>    SD Errors:              0
Gary>    FD termination status:  Error
Gary>    SD termination status:  Waiting on FD
Gary>    Termination:

Gary> I also got this message at one point:

Gary> 27-Aug 11:15 server-fd JobId 2793: Error:
Gary> /home/kern/bacula/k/bacula/src/lib/bsock.c:203 gethostbyname() for host
Gary> "<server name>.<domain name>l" failed: ERR=Authoritative answer for host
Gary> not found.

It looks like you have a DNS problem on the server.  What is your
domain name and can you do:

       nslookup server.some.domain

and have it return correct results.  Check that in your configuration
file(s) that you aren't using 'client' on the server end, but
'server.some.domain' on the client end, or visa-versa.  It might be
just a simple oversight.  Also, compare it with a working client to
see what's different.  Maybe you can see the difference when you
compare the configs side by side, line by line.

Gary> I can ping the server and the client by name from both
Gary> ends. I've verified that the password is still correct. When I
Gary> activate the tray monitor on the client, it shows the last
Gary> several jobs. When I run bconsole on the client, it connects OK
Gary> and I can run the backup job, but it again fails with the FD
Gary> error (above).

It would help if you could show the actual commands and log file
entries.  Also look at /etc/* config files (since you're probably on a
unix/linux system for the server) and make sure DNS in
/etc/resolv.conf is setup properly.

Showing how you run a job on working windows 7 client compared to this
broken one would also be good.

John