Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Lets open up a discussion about estimating required space for backups.

2014-08-14 20:37:15
Subject: [Bacula-users] Lets open up a discussion about estimating required space for backups.
From: Jeff MacDonald <jeff AT terida DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 21:34:29 -0300
Hi,

This has plagued me for a while… [ and while it sounds a lot like a home work
question… its actually just be being curious and reaching out :) ]

Imagine a scenario similar to this:

You have a file based storage array available with a capacity of say 6 TB, and
you have to back up 20 clients.

Lets say I’m going with the default Full/Diff/Inc weekly schedule and that I’ve
had an arbitrary retention time of 1 year on fulls 6 months on diffs and 1
month on incrementals.

What strategies would you employ to manage disk space, estimate growth etc.

I guess there are a few scenarios

1 : eventually you will find out that your arbitrary limits are just not
possible to accomplish with given diskspace.

 OR

2: it will work fine and things will get recycled fine.

Is there a good way to plan ahead?

Thanks!

Jeff. (Runkle on irc #bacula)