Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Lets open up a discussion about estimating required space for backups.

2014-08-15 08:01:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Lets open up a discussion about estimating required space for backups.
From: Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
To: Jeff MacDonald <jeff AT terida DOT com>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 08:59:09 -0300
You have a file based storage array available with a capacity of say 6 TB, and you have to back up 20 clients.

Lets say I’m going with the default Full/Diff/Inc weekly schedule and that I’ve had an arbitrary retention time of 1 year on fulls 6 months on diffs and 1 month on incrementals.

What strategies would you employ to manage disk space, estimate growth etc.

Is there a missing variable here, witch is the size of your full backups?
As for strategy I like to use GFS Rotation like explained on this diagram: http://www.bacula.com.br/?p=2271

Chhers,
Heitor Medrado de Faria | Need Bacula training? 10% discount coupon code at Udemy: bacula-users
+55 61 2021-8260
+55 61 8268-4220
Site: www.bacula.com.br
Facebook: heitor.faria