Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] vchanger interaction.

2014-05-19 21:45:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] vchanger interaction.
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 21:43:03 -0400
On 05/19/14 21:11, Steven Haigh wrote:> On 20/05/14 01:28, Bill Arlofski wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Following on from this, I've had a problem with every restore with
>>> Bacula throwing an error because it thinks the volume is online (when
>>> the drive may be ejected).
>>>
>>> I wrote a perl script that can be used with udev to automatically start
>>> / eject volumes. It makes a few assumptions, such as that you'll only
>>> add to the END of magazines = blah in the vchanger config.
>>>
>>> I've attached it for reference.
>>>
>>> Looking at the structure of the SQL for volumes, would it be better to
>>> set the 'InChanger' to 0 instead of Enabled = 0 when a volume is
>>> removed? Then set InChanger = 1 when the volume is added back?
>>>

>> Hi Steve, I have not looked at your script yet, but this is something
>> that I did a about a year back to solve what I think is a similar, or
>> the same problem you are experiencing. It does it by setting the
>> 'Enabled' field for a volume depending on its current availability.
>>

>> http://www.revpol.com/node/146
>>
>> Hope it helps.
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> I did find that script and used it as my inspiration. There were a few
> issues I had when running it however. Firstly, it doesn't recognise
> UUIDs in the format /mnt/vchanger/<uuid> which causes issues.

That's interesting, since my system udev/autofs auto-mounts my encrypted
drives as:

/mnt/eSATA-1_Backups/<UUID>

And my magazines are each defined in vchanger.conf as:

magazine = "UUID:<UUID>"

> The script I wrote was designed to be run via udev on a hot insert /
> remove of drives. This allows the script to run as soon as a disk is
> started. It also uses /dev/disk/by-uuid to match UUIDs found in the
> vchanger config.

See:

http://revpol.com/offsitebackups

I do udev/autofs auto-mounted encrypted drives so besides the encryption it
seem like you are trying to do exactly what I have posted there.

(note: there was a lot of udev and autofs development activity during and just
after I wrote that so some things are not exact - for example some outputs,
and some commands)

> The other difference is that I set InChanger=(0|1) instead of disabling
> the volume. In theory, this will cause bacula to send a "Need
> intervention" email instead of failing (but I'm yet to try this).

I think that was initially considered, but the Enabled field turned out to be
the fool-proof method for us.

Hope this helps!

Bill

--