Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Reusing a disk volume

2014-05-16 07:21:44
Subject: [Bacula-users] Reusing a disk volume
From: Thorsten Kampe <thorsten AT thorstenkampe DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 13:17:37 +0200
Hi,

at the moment we have a single disk volume (file). We would like to
reuse this disk volume file so it will not grow infinitely.

We have a monthly rotation schedule (this is actually the default
schedule):

"""
# full backup on first sunday of month, differential every other
# sunday, incremental backups other days
Schedule {
    Name = WeeklyCycle
    Run  = Full 1st sun at 23:00
    Run  = Differential 2nd-5th sun at 23:00
    Run  = Incremental mon-sat at 23:00
}
"""

After two cycles (two months), we would like to delete old files from
the volume file. Thus we set

FileRetention   = 60 days
JobRetention    = 60 days
VolumeRetention = 60 days
Recycle         = yes

There is no maximum file or volume size or volume use duration
configured.

My question is: will the above settings ensure that after about sixty
days, the file volume size will reach its maximum (assuming that the
size of the backed-up data remains constant)?

Thorsten