Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Reusing a disk volume

2014-05-16 09:07:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Reusing a disk volume
From: Thorsten Kampe <thorsten AT thorstenkampe DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 15:04:33 +0200
* Thorsten Kampe (Fri, 16 May 2014 14:53:57 +0200)

> * John Drescher (Fri, 16 May 2014 08:37:31 -0400)
> > On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Thorsten Kampe
> > <thorsten AT thorstenkampe DOT de> wrote:
> > > My question is: will the above settings ensure that after about
> > > sixty
> > > days, the file volume size will reach its maximum (assuming that the
> > > size of the backed-up data remains constant)?
> >
> > No it will not. The retention period begins after a volume is marked
> > full or used. At 60 days it will still be append. You need to limit
> > the # of jobs, use duration and/or size.
>
> So in my case I would have to set UseDuration accordingly.
>
> > Then after the volume is marked Full or Used the 60 days begins
> > counting from the last written date.
>
> I want to purge files directly when the (catalog) retention period
> (sixty days) occurs. Does that mean I have to set UseDuration to 0 (0
> + 60 days = 60 days)?

Okay, 0 means indefinitely, so that would be completely wrong. Since
I want to have a backup history of sixty days, I need
VolumeUseDuration to be at least 60 days. Does that mean that in this
setup database pruning will be after sixty days and file pruning
after 120 days?

Thorsten