Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Internet Tolerant

2014-02-25 14:05:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Internet Tolerant
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:58:54 -0500
On 2/24/2014 1:18 PM, Birger Blixt wrote:
> 2014-02-24 19:05, andersonn21 skrev:
>> I figured as much, any recommendations for a program that has the ability to
>> reconnect?
>>

> One way can be openVPN , it don't reconnect but that is handled by
> holding the connection open all the time.
> The advantage is that bacula.fd listen on a tap interface with a
> dedicated IP regardless of the host adress so
> you can use it for a laptop with dynamic IP.  (and encryption included
> as extra bonus)
> I have never tested, it's just an idea.

OpenVPN can drop the tunnel connection due to inactivity without
dropping the TUN interface on either side of the tunnel. You must use
OpenVPN's '--persist-tun' flag to prevent a ping-restart from closing
and reopening the TUN interface or re-running the up and down scripts.
If the TUN interface is restarted it will break Bacula's persistent TCP
connections. Both ends of the tunnel must have the 'persist-tun' flag
set. Also, if Bacula backups are using compression, then OpenVPN's LZO
compression should be turned off.