Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fatal error: askdir.c:340 NULL Volume name. This shouldn't happen!!!

2014-02-17 03:51:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fatal error: askdir.c:340 NULL Volume name. This shouldn't happen!!!
From: Wolfgang Denk <wd AT denx DOT de>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 09:45:54 +0100
Dear Kern,

In message <20140216153143.2D773380410 AT gemini.denx DOT de> I wrote:

> > I did find and fix was related to a user setting an expiration time of
> > exactly 1
> > or n days, which means at some point when he started a whole batch of
> > new backup jobs, a volume that was being used was recycled creating
> > the race condition.  The solution is perhaps my patch, but it is much easier
> > to set the expiration time to be slightly less than a multiple of a day
> > (e.g. 23 hours)
> > then no volumes should expire while a lot of jobs are starting.
>
> In my case I had "VolumeRetention = 18d" for all volumes in this pool;
> I have changed this now to 455h (= 18d + 23h).  Let's see what
> happens.
>
> Thanks for the hint; I will report results in a while (either when it
> happens again nevertheless, or in a few weeks when it is sure that
> this helped).

We didn't have to wait long.  The error happened again last night, now
with VolumeRetention set to 1,638,000 seconds = 455h = 18d + 23h.

Seems this is another problem.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd AT denx DOT de
I believe you find life such a problem because you  think  there  are
the  good  people  and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There
are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are  on  oppo-
site sides.                      - Terry Pratchett, _Guards! Guards!_