Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fatal error: askdir.c:340 NULL Volume name. This shouldn't happen!!!

2014-02-13 16:17:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fatal error: askdir.c:340 NULL Volume name. This shouldn't happen!!!
From: Wolfgang Denk <wd AT denx DOT de>
To: "Clark, Patricia A." <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 22:11:18 +0100
Dear Patricia,

In message <CF228982.6EB06%clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov> you wrote:

> I posted a similar notice 10/31/2013.  Beyond the no responses, there is
> no bug report which means no fix is pending.  ...

Thanks for the confirmation.  It's somewhat reassuring to know others
see this phenomenon, too.

>                                          ...  Signing up to make a bug
> report is also broken and has been mentioned on this list.  No message is
> sent that allows for verification and setting up an account.

Confirmed, too.  I even mailed Kern about this, but received no
response either.

Is there still anybody listening to bug reports in the free version of
Bacula, or is this totally unsupported by now?

Kern?

> I can suggest a work-around that reduces the incidence of tape stealing by
> the storage director from one job for another - set their job schedules
> with an offset.  I have used a 15 minute offset for jobs that had started
> at the same time.  I still have the "NULL Volume name" happening, but with
> less frequency.  I just look for it and rerun the affected jobs.  My

Yes, re-running is what I do so far, too, but it's a pain in the neck
when the whole thing is supposed to run basically unmaintained.

> current biggest issue is that the storage daemon doesn't see the job
> failure and release the tape resource unless I restart the bacula
> processes.  There appears to be a bug report and a fix pending release for
> that issue.

Hm... Haven't seen this here yet.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd AT denx DOT de
Life is a game. Money is how we keep score.              - Ted Turner