Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] rhel6 (centos6) bug on tape blocksize >= 1024k

2013-11-26 03:32:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] rhel6 (centos6) bug on tape blocksize >= 1024k
From: Ulrich Leodolter <ulrich.leodolter AT obvsg DOT at>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 09:29:44 +0100
Hi,

recently, after upgrading our bacula server from CentOS 5.10
to CentOS 6.4, we have been hit by an upstream kernel bug.

in our bacula config we use the following tape device settings
for some time.

Maximum Block Size = 1024K
Minimum Block Size = 32K

after OS upgrade the tape mount failed most of the times

16-Nov 00:03 bacula-sd JobId 431441: Error: block.c:1002 Read error on
fd=7 at file:blk 0:0 on device "Drive-1" (/dev/nst1). ERR=Device or
resource busy.

we got the same error using dd, but not always.
it took me about one week to find the root cause of the problem.

It is described at redhat (need a subscription to read all details)
https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/303123
There exists a kernel patch,  but it is not released until now.

There i found also a workaround  which works for us:

# cat /etc/modprobe.d/mt-st.conf
options st max_sg_segs=64

See also the latest technical notes from RHEL 6.5:

---
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/6.5_Technical_Notes/devices_issues.html

kernel component
        When using large block size (1MB), the tape driver sometimes
        returns an EBUSY error. To work around this problem, use a
        smaller block size, that is 256KB.
---

I wrote this just to save u time when u experiment on tape block size
>= 1024k on CentOS/RHEL 6.x.

Best regards
Ulrich

--
Ulrich Leodolter <ulrich.leodolter AT obvsg DOT at>
Oesterreichische Bibliothekenverbund und Service GmbH