Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bare metal in 5.0.2

2013-11-14 10:47:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bare metal in 5.0.2
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:44:38 -0500
On 11/12/2013 11:14 AM, Liam Price wrote:
> Dear List.
>
> I have recently started a new job where they currently have bacula 5.0.2
> installed. It seems like the backups here have never been tested. So of
> course, I want to do that.
>
> In terms of bare metal, does bacula support it with this version? If
> not, what are your solutions for bare metal using bacula? would I need
> to build a base system first, add the file daemon to that client then
> restore files from there?

Bare metal restore of clients is pretty straight forward. I have found
no need for any sort of recovery disk. Just install a minimal OS on the
bare metal, install bacula-fd on the client, configure the bacula-fd on
the client, ensure the new client is getting assigned the correct
network address, and then run a restore job from the Bacula server machine.

Bare metal restore of the machine DIR and SD run on is more complex,
since it requires restoring both SD and DIR, and the catalog DB.