Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Director console connection failures after upgrading from squeeze to wheezy (5.0->5.2)

2013-11-12 15:10:30
Subject: [Bacula-users] Director console connection failures after upgrading from squeeze to wheezy (5.0->5.2)
From: Marcello Romani <mromani AT ottotecnica DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 20:42:26 +0100
Hi,
     I have recently upgraded my bacula box to debian wheezy. Bacula got
upgraded to 5.2.6 (previous version was 5.0.2 IIRC).
I started to get messages like the following one every minute:

bacula-dir: ERROR in authenticate.c:415 Unable to authenticate console
"*UserAgent*" at client: <client-ip:client-port>

During the upgrade of the bacula package a warning came up stating that
the previous director password had been changed to a more secure one.

bconsole wouldn't connect anymore because of this. Just had to change
the password in /etc/bconsole.conf and I could connect to the director
again via bconsole.
But the weird messages continued to appear.

Turned out the culprit was a bacula-web alternative called "almir",
which I had installed almost one year before, that was still using the
pre-update bconsole password, thus being unable to authenticate itself.
After updating that password the messages stopped.

Lesson learned: after changing bacula-dir password, remember to check
the configuration of every third-party software that connects to it :-P

I took me some time to figure this out, so I'm posting this in the hope
it will be of some help to anybody stumbling upon a similar issue in the
future.

Marcello