Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Improve bacula performance with software compression

2013-10-22 10:31:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Improve bacula performance with software compression
From: Marcin Kałuża <marcin.kaluza AT megiteam DOT pl>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 16:29:30 +0200
On 10/22/2013 02:02 PM, Федорищев Игорь Николаевич wrote:
 > Hello.
 > Bacula 5.0.0, CentOS 6.4 x86_64, MySQL 5.5.34. Bacula was installed from
 > CentOS Remi repository.
 > Bacula server: bacula-dir, bacula-sd. Bacula client: bacula-fd. Both
 > machines are in local network and have 1Gbit network cards. Maximum io
 > capacity on bacula server is about 180 Mbytes/per sec (tested). Backups are
 > stored on disk, no tape drive used.
 >
 > Bacula client is a machine with 1.2Tb data (over 1M files). When I enable
 > compression on the client (compression=GZIP),
 > backup performance is extremely degraded, network interface load is down to
 > 100 Mbit/s.

First of all, network load is a poor metric in this case - it almost certain
that there will be less data going through the network, because it is
compressed. Also - it takes more time to compress the data than just read them
and push into network.
Mayby you should create a small fileset of 1-10GB and back it up once with and
once without compression and measure time - it will be much more reliable
indicator of performance.

Then you can try and determine the bottleneck - what is cpu load on the machine
being backed up with and w/o compression? Whats the load on disks?

To improve compressed backup performance (after you measure it reliably first)
you can:
- decrease compression level - use GZIP1, GZIP2 or any other number <6 -
default GZIP=GZIP6
- create separate filesets and run multiple jobs in parallel - this way you
will utilize more than one cpu, effectively making backup n times faster (up to
saturating your disk i/o)

Martin