Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Improve bacula performance with software compression

2013-10-22 08:18:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] Improve bacula performance with software compression
From: Федорищев Игорь Николаевич <fedorischev AT bsu.edu DOT ru>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 16:16:34 +0400 (MSK)
Hello.
Bacula 5.0.0, CentOS 6.4 x86_64, MySQL 5.5.34. Bacula was installed from CentOS
Remi repository.
Bacula server: bacula-dir, bacula-sd. Bacula client: bacula-fd. Both machines
are in local network and have 1Gbit network cards. Maximum io
capacity on bacula server is about 180 Mbytes/per sec (tested). Backups are
stored on disk, no tape drive used.

Bacula client is a machine with 1.2Tb data (over 1M files). When I enable
compression on the client (compression=GZIP),
backup performance is extremely degraded, network interface load is down to 100
Mbit/s. Then I disable compression, restarts backup and achive up to 500 Mbit
interface load. Looks like good: 500Mbit/s - 1.2Tb data backup time is about 6
hours. But I want to store files compressed on the backup server to reduce disk
space usage. I googled up it and found that no way to enable server-side
compression in Bacula. Also I found that people are disables compression
in Bacula and store volumes on filesystem with compression support, like ZFS. I
think that no good result in this way because Bacula had it's own archive
binary format and volume (like binary file) compression by any external
algorithm must be ineffective (~ 1.1:1 ratio).

Ways to resolution problem?
1. Backups uncompressed, then unpack volume with external tools, compress and
pack again.
(..How Bacula does operate with that again? No way..)

What else?

I want to store files in volumes compressed without losts network copy
performance.

Thanks, sorry for my English.