Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backing up NTFS file systems

2013-09-08 20:52:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backing up NTFS file systems
From: Greg Woods <greg AT gregandeva DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 18:48:33 -0600
On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 09:32 -0600, compdoc wrote:

> But since you mention the commands "ls -lt" and "ls -lc", which are not
> windows or dos commands, I'm assuming that your NTFS volumes are attached to
> a nix OS?  That may have more to do with the problem than being NTFS
> volumes.

Well, yes, I did say:

> I expect this isn't an issue with Bacula specifically, but rather an
> artifact of how Linux deals with M$ file systems.

I am just wondering what exactly the issue is, and whether or not there
is a workaround.

This is a home setup. At first, I thought using something like Bacula
for my house might be overkill, but it turns out that I have three Linux
laptops (work, personal, and wife's) two desktops (mine and wife's) plus
two other desktops that act as servers. One of the servers has a Windows
7 VM that is up all the time. All three laptops also have a dual boot
Windows 7 system, and two of the laptops also have Windows 7 virtual
machines. So that's a total of (I have to count them :-) 7 Linux OS's
and 8 Windows OS's to back up. So I used a Raspberry Pi with a 4TB
"green" drive (that shuts itself down when idle) as a storage server
(oops, make that 8 Linux OS's to back up).

Except for the one Windows VM that is up all the time (on which I did
install bacula-fd), all the other Windows systems only get used
occasionally, as needed, so I would really rather back them up via the
Linux OS that gets used all the time. So the dual-boot systems have
their file systems mounted under Linux, and I mount the virtual machine
file systems also (one has to use an offset to mount the partitions
within the virtual disk image). Their files are included in the backups
of Linux OS, and can be restored that way.

This works well except for the fact that some of the incrementals turn
into full backups of the NTFS file systems, and I would like to find out
why that happens. I suppose I could work around the problem by
installing bacula-fd on 7 more Windows clients, but that's a lot more
hassle than just mounting the NTFS file systems under Linux and backing
the files up that way. Hopefully this explains what I'm trying to do and
why.

--Greg