Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] adding re-used tapes previously used on different tape drive

2013-09-04 18:10:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] adding re-used tapes previously used on different tape drive
From: "Clark, Patricia A." <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 18:06:41 -0400
On 9/4/13 2:08 PM, "marguin" <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

>I have 2 tape drives, well one being inside a library and the other stand
>alone.  I am taking a handful of tapes that were first used on the
>standalone library and adding barcoded labels to them and put them in my
>library.  from bconsole, 'update slots', 'update slots scan' ..however i
>cannot get the new tapes to show at all in the 'list media' list.  what i
>want to do is relabel them to their barcode and wipe what is currently on
>them (that data is long expired), then re-use them in the library.  My
>library is a Dell Power Vault TL1000 if i remember correctly (located
>remote).
>
>any insight would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Oh and another point of info is that this comes back correct on the
>server that the library is connected to physically:
>
>[root@nas1 bacula]# mtx -f /dev/sg3 status
>  Storage Changer /dev/sg3:1 Drives, 24 Slots ( 1 Import/Export )
>Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 23 Loaded):VolumeTag =
>000109L4
>      Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=000126L4
>      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=000129L4
>      Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=000132L4
>      Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=000122L4
>      Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=000125L4
>      Storage Element 6:Full :VolumeTag=000128L4
>      Storage Element 7:Full :VolumeTag=000131L4
>      Storage Element 8:Full :VolumeTag=000121L4
>      Storage Element 9:Full :VolumeTag=000124L4
>      Storage Element 10:Full :VolumeTag=000127L4
>      Storage Element 11:Full :VolumeTag=000130L4
>      Storage Element 12:Empty
>      Storage Element 13:Full :VolumeTag=000136L4
>      Storage Element 14:Full :VolumeTag=000135L4
>      Storage Element 15:Full :VolumeTag=000134L4
>      Storage Element 16:Full :VolumeTag=000105L4
>      Storage Element 17:Full :VolumeTag=000106L4
>      Storage Element 18:Full :VolumeTag=000107L4
>      Storage Element 19:Full :VolumeTag=000133L4
>      Storage Element 20:Full :VolumeTag=000137L4
>      Storage Element 21:Full :VolumeTag=000108L4
>      Storage Element 22:Full :VolumeTag=CLNU00L1
>      Storage Element 23:Empty
>      Storage Element 24 IMPORT/EXPORT:Full :VolumeTag=000123L4
>
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------
>|This was sent by matt.arguin AT currensee DOT com via Backup Central.
>|Forward SPAM to abuse AT backupcentral DOT com.
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------

First, I would work with one tape until satisfied that the process is
working for you.  Otherwise you could do a lot of waiting.  Next, make
sure your library is configured to use a cleaning tape and that the tape
is in the defined cleaning slot.  I personally do not let backup software
handle tape drive cleanings.  And lastly, you have a tape residing in your
import/export slot - not recommended.

So, have these tapes under their old labels been used by bacula or some
other software?  If bacula, have they been purged?  The data may be
expired, but the media would still be in the catalog.  There is
documentation on using the btape utility for cleanup.

To try one tape as a relabel using bconsole:
update slots=1 scan storage=<your changer> drive=0
label storage=<your changer> drive=0 slots=1 pool=<your pool> barcodes

When this works, change the slots= and use ranges to get the rest.

Patti Clark
Linux System Administrator
Research and Development Systems Support Oak Ridge National Laboratory