Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] HEADS UP: change to FreeBSD port coming

2013-07-31 08:38:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] HEADS UP: change to FreeBSD port coming
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:35:17 +0100

> This affects only FreeBSD users.
>
> At present, when upgrading sysutils/bacula-server or sysutils/bacula-client,
> the port/package will stop bacula-dir & bacula-sd (or bacula-fd
> respectively).  This is done as part of the uninstall before doing the
> subsequent install.
>
> I think this is not the ideal thing to do.

It may not be ideal for upgrading, but it also applies to fully uninstalling.
I don't know what the FreeBSD convention is for daemons in general but there
are quite a few in /usr/ports/net that stop themselves on uninstall.

>                                             Here are two example scenarios
> under the current situation:
>
> 1 - when you're upgrading several servers, you get monitoring systems telling
> you that the process has stopped running… annoying
> 2 - when you upgrading in a FreeBSD jail *HOST*, the current approach will
> also stop the corresponding processes in any jails
>
> #1 is annoying.
>
> #2 is downright unexpected.

I think the use of killall is the problem in #2.  It would be better to stop
the daemons with the bacula-ctl-* tools (or rc.d entries) so it will only kill
the correct ones.

> I propose that we don't stop the processes at all.  Leave it up to the
> sysadmin to do the right thing.
>
> They can decide to:
>
> portupgrade
> restart

I've never liked that order because it assumes that the new version's stop
script will work with the old version's running program.

__Martin