Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] HEADS UP: change to FreeBSD port coming

2013-07-31 01:59:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] HEADS UP: change to FreeBSD port coming
From: pietersnld <pietersnld AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 22:40:16 -0700 (PDT)
Dan Langille wrote
> This affects only FreeBSD users.
>
> At present, when upgrading sysutils/bacula-server or
> sysutils/bacula-client, the port/package will stop bacula-dir & bacula-sd
> (or bacula-fd respectively).  This is done as part of the uninstall before
> doing the subsequent install.
>
> I think this is not the ideal thing to do.  Here are two example scenarios
> under the current situation:
>
> 1 - when you're upgrading several servers, you get monitoring systems
> telling you that the process has stopped running… annoying
> 2 - when you upgrading in a FreeBSD jail *HOST*, the current approach will
> also stop the corresponding processes in any jails
>
> #1 is annoying.
>
> #2 is downright unexpected.
>
> I propose that we don't stop the processes at all.  Leave it up to the
> sysadmin to do the right thing.
>
> They can decide to:
>
> portupgrade
> restart
>
> or
>
> stop
> portupgrade
> start
>
> But this change gives them the choice.
>
> Please discuss.
>
> --
> Dan Langille - http://langille.org

Hello,

Most of the ports on FreeBSD stop when you upgrade them. When I upgrade
bacula I always restart fd, dir and sd after upgrading otherwise the new
program is not loaded and the old version is still used. If that's the
behavior you want why upgrade in the first place.
In my opinion its the right thing to do when uninstalling a port otherwise
the program is still running even if its removed! Did a rm -rf once on the
wrong directory and all programs kept running. Had to reinstall them all
because after a reboot they would not start again because the executables
were missing.
I think sysadmins will know what to do when upgrading.

Greetings,
Pieter