Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] HEADS UP: change to FreeBSD port coming

2013-07-30 14:09:38
Subject: [Bacula-users] HEADS UP: change to FreeBSD port coming
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:06:21 -0400
This affects only FreeBSD users.

At present, when upgrading sysutils/bacula-server or sysutils/bacula-client,
the port/package will stop bacula-dir & bacula-sd (or bacula-fd respectively).
This is done as part of the uninstall before doing the subsequent install.

I think this is not the ideal thing to do.  Here are two example scenarios
under the current situation:

1 - when you're upgrading several servers, you get monitoring systems telling
you that the process has stopped running… annoying
2 - when you upgrading in a FreeBSD jail *HOST*, the current approach will also
stop the corresponding processes in any jails

#1 is annoying.

#2 is downright unexpected.

I propose that we don't stop the processes at all.  Leave it up to the sysadmin
to do the right thing.

They can decide to:

portupgrade
restart