Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection reset by peer

2013-06-17 10:44:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection reset by peer
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:41:02 -0400
On 6/13/2013 12:32 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> On 06/13/2013 10:42 AM, Martin Simmons wrote:
>
>> The FD error "Network send error to SD ERR=Connection reset by peer" means
>> that the FD unexpectedly lost contact (at the TCP level) with the SD while
>> writing data to it.
>>
>> I think the only possible causes are:
>>
>> 1. The network broke between the FD and the SD.
>> 2. The SD died.
>> 3. The FD got a different error but reported it incorrectly (not very
>> likely).
> 4. I've seen linux drop packets (even ping) under load. In fact we have
> two identical machines sitting next to each other, when backup kicks in
> one of them -- but not the other -- goes from
>
> PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 0.71 ms
> PING WARNING - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 133.52 ms
>
> (This is on 2.6 series kernels.)

It still indicates a timing issue. A TTL expired because the server
cannot keep up, power saving mode turned off PHY ( which could be a
switch, rather than server or client machine), anything that causes a
packet drop. Also, another possibility is

5.  The limit, recent, or some other iptables module is causing an
unexpected packet drop under load.