Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection reset by peer

2013-06-12 10:45:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection reset by peer
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 10:41:57 -0400
On 6/11/2013 11:10 AM, Leonardo - Mandic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After upgrade to bacula 5.2.13 I have bacula storage problems. Appers
> a network problem, but don't are, I have a gigabit network dedicated
> to bacula. The problem is on backups running for many hours or days
> (full backup of 500gb delay 2 days, for example).
>
> The time is random, but 70% of servers have this same errors.
>
> On old versions never have this problem, and its same network and same
> servers of old bacula versions.
>
> Anybody have this problem on 5.2.13?
>
> Erroris:
>

> 2013-06-10 23:51:01 servert-fd JobId 266: Error: bsock.c:429 Write
> error sending 64562 bytes to Storage daemon:10.1.0.60:9103:
> ERR=Connection reset by peer
> 2013-06-10 23:51:01 servert-fd JobId 266: Fatal error: backup.c:1200
> Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection reset by peer

In my experience, it has always been hardware related. In particular,
aggressive power saving modes will cause this when one of the systems
cuts power to its Ethernet PHY at an inappropriate time. This can be
because the device driver's default is geared toward early power savings
and the op hasn't changed it, or a buggy device driver shuts off the PHY
when it shouldn't. Bacula requires that TCP connections remain up
throughout the job lifetime. Anything that might cause a delay could
cause this if the power save timeout for the Ethernet controller is
shorter than the delay. For example, if the database server is restarted
by a nightly cron job and you are not spooling attributes, then the
delay could allow the device driver to shut down the PHY due to
"inactivity".