Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Question on Copy Jobs - Selection Type PoolUncopiedJobs

2013-06-05 07:03:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Question on Copy Jobs - Selection Type PoolUncopiedJobs
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 13:00:04 +0200
On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 01:28:07PM -0400, Mingus Dew wrote:
> Dear All,
>      I have an existing Bacula installation that uses separate disk pools
> for Incremental and Full backups. I have setup a Copy Job to tape pool
> setup using the PoolUncopiedJobs Selection Type for the Full disk pool
> only.
>
>      I now wish to set this up for the Incremental pool, but only from now
> moving forward. My concern is that the first run of the Copy Job will
> select all the current Jobs in the Incremental Pool, which would put 3
> previous weeks of Inrementals onto 1 weeks tapes.
>
>     Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this?
>
> Sincere Thanks,
> Shon

Your best bet would be to come up with a custom sql query that selects
the incrementals you want, maybe something like

select jobid from Job ...... where .... AND Job.RealEndTime > NOW()

or similar (this is from memory).

Be warned though that copy jobs can blow up your catalogs and
databases to humongous sizes. At one point, we ended up with 1,2 *billion*
rows in the File table alone, so take a good look at your retention
times. We've sinced moved away completely from copy jobs and write the
full volumes to tape once a month (just the on-disk volumes).

Let me know if you need a complete example for the sql query, I hope
this puts you on your way.

All the best, Uwe

uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net fon: [+49] 5242.91 - 4740, fax:-69 72
Hauptsitz: Avenwedder Str. 55, D-33311 Gütersloh, Germany
Registergericht Gütersloh HRB 4196, Geschäftsführer: H. Gosewehr, D. Suda
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA