Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Automatically create volume and continue writing to it

2013-06-04 11:51:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Automatically create volume and continue writing to it
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:48:16 -0400
On 06/04/13 02:56, Michael D. Wood wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I've been combing through the mailing list and forums and trying to
> wrap my head around what I'm trying to accomplish.  Hopefully, someone
> here can point me in the right direction.  This is just a home setup
> backing up 2 Linux and 1 FreeBSD server.  The backups are just going to
> a 1TB external USB drive.  Bacula has been working great for all I use
> it for.
>
> I want to be able to split the volumes Bacula creates in 5GB chunks (to
> make restores faster and just easier manageability).  I have messed
> around with the Max Volume Bytes directive but wasn't sure if I needed
> to use vchanger with this?
>
> If I can get Bacula to split the volumes into 5GB chunks, is Bacula
> able to automatically create another in the pool, and keep writing to
> it?  When that one reaches 5GB it just creates another volume?  From
> what I've seen it *LOOKS* like it can be done.  Any ideas?

It's trivial, as long as there are open slots in the pool.  You don't
need to use the vchanger.  Just define an autolabelling format and turn
it loose.  But why on earth would you split your volumes into 5GB
chunks?  That's just a little too big to fit onto a DVD, and
impractically small for any other purpose.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.