Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Automatically create volume and continue writing to it

2013-06-04 05:19:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Automatically create volume and continue writing to it
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: "Michael D. Wood" <mike AT itsecuritypros DOT org>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 11:16:53 +0200
On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 02:56:34AM -0400, Michael D. Wood wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I've been combing through the mailing list and forums and trying to
> wrap my head around what I'm trying to accomplish.  Hopefully, someone
> here can point me in the right direction.  This is just a home setup
> backing up 2 Linux and 1 FreeBSD server.  The backups are just going to
> a 1TB external USB drive.  Bacula has been working great for all I use
> it for.
>
> I want to be able to split the volumes Bacula creates in 5GB chunks (to
> make restores faster and just easier manageability).  I have messed
> around with the Max Volume Bytes directive but wasn't sure if I needed
> to use vchanger with this?
>
> If I can get Bacula to split the volumes into 5GB chunks, is Bacula
> able to automatically create another in the pool, and keep writing to
> it?  When that one reaches 5GB it just creates another volume?  From
> what I've seen it *LOOKS* like it can be done.  Any ideas?

Hi Michael,

yep, that's indeed possible and can be done via the "pool" directive.

Say you have 1TB of backup space you want to split in 5GB volumes,
then the following pool definition would accomplish this (just the
important bits):

Pool {
  Name = Online
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Purge Oldest Volume = yes
  Recycle  Oldest Volume = yes
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 5G
  Maximum Volumes = 200
  Action On Purge = Truncate
  Label Format = "Online-"
}

After a while you would end up with 200 5GB files in the directory
your storage definition points to.

All the best, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA