Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] RAIT anyone?

2013-05-10 16:23:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] RAIT anyone?
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 15:20:37 -0500
(forgot to cc the list)

On 05/10/2013 02:42 PM, Edward M. Markowski wrote:

> Any reason you can't set your disks up in a RAID1 configuration?

Yesno:

We had problems with mdadm and some sata controllers. Whether I can
configure 12 disks into 6 *stable* md raids remains to be seen.

Device utilization: I only need one "copy" disk, though I'd use 2 to be
on the safe side. Other 10 can go into "main" autochanger. It's no big
deal, we'll just have to replace the disks more often.

Replacing disks is more work and has to be done more often with 6 raid
devices as opposed to 10 plain disks.

Obviously, the show-stopper would be #1 if mdadm turns out to be unhappy
with that particular hba card. Everything else I could live with, but
would rather not.

Btrfs would be another option if it weren't experimental...

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin