Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Recovery of files from a tape out of retention period.

2013-04-16 12:07:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Recovery of files from a tape out of retention period.
From: Marcin Haba <ganiuszka AT gmail DOT com>
To: John Carter <johncarter8 AT gmx DOT com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 18:05:00 +0200
2013/4/16 John Carter <johncarter8 AT gmx DOT com>:
> Hi.
>
> We have an older tape that is out of retention period by about 2 or 3 months
> (file and job).
>
> According to the documentation, the files are not recoverable as the data is
> no longer stored in the mysql database.
>
> Might there exist a tool or technique to list all of the files on the tape
> and restore specific ones?
>
> I realize this would take a long time and would have to scan every part of
> the file, however, as this is a master backup tape that would contain mostly
> large .tar.gz files we would not be searching for one file in millions.

Hi,

In your case, there does not need changing Volume Retention value in
Pool Resource if it is set properly. Rather you should look into Job
Retention and File Retention periods both for Client resource and Pool
resource. The simplest way to do this is turning off AutoPrune to
Client resource and if you have this directives in Pool resource too
then you can remove them from Director configuration file. Eg.

Client {
    Name = "aaa"
    AutoPrune = no
}

If you really need to use above described directives then you should
set proper value for each one.

With AutoPrune there is one subtle trap. If you does not have
AutoPrune directive in Client resource then it still works due to
AutoPrune is default turned on. So be careful :)

> Google revealed nothing on the topic so I am hopeful that the mere existence
> of the data on the tape is enough.
> Thoughts, suggestions?

You can create bootstrap file for extract the only needed files from
volumes by bextract. Another way is using an include list to bextract
tool. Good practice is using smaller file volumes sizes (eg. due to
your described problem).

Regards,
Marcin Haba (gani)

--
"Większej miłości nikt nie ma nad tę, jak gdy kto życie swoje kładzie
za przyjaciół swoich." Jezus Chrystus