Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Recovery of files from a tape out of retention period.

2013-04-16 07:43:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Recovery of files from a tape out of retention period.
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: John Carter <johncarter8 AT gmx DOT com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 07:41:16 -0400
> We have an older tape that is out of retention period by about 2 or 3 months
> (file and job).
>
> According to the documentation, the files are not recoverable as the data is
> no longer stored in the mysql database.
>
> Might there exist a tool or technique to list all of the files on the tape
> and restore specific ones?

bls lists  files
bextract will extract
bscan will put the records back in the database.

Remember to change your retention period for the pool before you do a
bscan so that the data is not added then quickly removed. To do this
update your bacula-dir.conf then in bconsole update pool from resource
then update all volumes in pool.

> I realize this would take a long time and would have to scan every part of
> the file, however, as this is a master backup tape that would contain mostly
> large .tar.gz files we would not be searching for one file in millions.
>
> Google revealed nothing on the topic so I am hopeful that the mere existence
> of the data on the tape is enough.
>

> Thoughts, suggestions?

Look at the bacula utility programs part of the manual:

http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/utility/utility/index.html

John