Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula restore getting wrong Storage

2013-03-22 13:47:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula restore getting wrong Storage
From: Melvin Ross <melvin.ross AT gmail DOT com>
To: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>, Bugbear <gryzli.the.bugbear AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:42:31 -0500
I am also interested in how large your catalog is. We all have very different budgets and definitions when it comes to "large" MySQL representations, and a few of us may be able to offer some tips if that's your bottleneck.

-Melvin

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 01:37:42PM +0200, Bugbear wrote:
> Hi Dimitrij,
>
> Well, for me using only one catalog isn't solution at all. With the
> number of clients and files I'm backing up, using one database
> (catalog) causes huge performance penalties, that's why I use multiple
> catalogs.

We recently switched to running multiple catalogs and have seen
similar strange issues, however not while restoring but more often
when running backups.

I'm wondering why you don't define different media types if you run
dedicated pools & storages for each client? This might help bacula to
identify which storage can read a certain media type. It's only a
string that identifies the media type, there's no magic involved at
all.

In our setup, each client has two pools (one for full, one for
incrementals), two storages (ditto) and two media types defined.

As a last resort with disk based backup at least, you can use bls /
bextract to get at your backup data, circumventing catalog usage
completely.

Out of couriosity, how big is your "large" catalog?

Cheers, Uwe

> Also I found some thread explaining exactly the same problem as mine:
> http://marc.info/?l=bacula-bugs&m=132248738530236
> ... but it seems the bug wont be fixed...
>
> ebollengier says that:
> " Bacula might have a problem when using multiple Catalog, this is not
> the most common setup."
> For me you don't have any choice different from using multiple
> catalogs, if you have clients with very big filesets, containing huge
> number of files, and ofcourse if performance is to be considered.
>
> Regards
>
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:23:35 +0100
> Dimitrij Hilt <dimitrij.hilt AT fhe3 DOT com> wrote:
>
> > Hi  Bugbear,
> >
> > Am 22.03.2013 09:11, schrieb Bugbear:
> > [...]
> > > I suppose this is some kind of bug, because:
> > > - This strange behaviour happens only to a custom set of clients
> > > (not all of the clients using shared catalog)
> > > - This only happens after I add more than 1 catalog
> >
> > Second option is right. I know this bug from bacula 3.X to 5.X. My
> > fix was to remove any additional catalogs and use only one.
> >
> > Dimi

uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net fon: [+49] 5242.91 - 4740, fax:-69 72
Hauptsitz: Avenwedder Str. 55, D-33311 Gütersloh, Germany
Registergericht Gütersloh HRB 4196, Geschäftsführer: H. Gosewehr, D. Suda
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA