Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Migrating from myisam to innodb

2013-03-21 04:29:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Migrating from myisam to innodb
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 09:27:31 +0100
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 04:24:02PM +0000, Alan Brown wrote:
> On 26/02/13 09:42, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
>
> >I wonder if dumping the file table and then
> >re-importing it to an innodb replacement would have been quicker?
>
> In general: Yes.

Hi folks,

last night I managed to shrink a 300GB File table down to a very
reasonable 85GB by exporting, dropping and re-importing the table
(about 500 million rows).

Dumping the table on an idle bacula server (see earlier posts for
machine specs) took around 90 minutes and resulted in a 55GB sql
file. Dropping the table was a breeze (about a minute or so),
re-importing took around 3 hours:

date ; time mysql -pn1onex bacula <  file_2013_03_20.sql  ; date
Mi 20. Mär 22:35:14 CET 2013

real    165m12.748s
user    15m17.358s
sys     1m2.320s
Do 21. Mär 01:20:27 CET 2013

Post-Import File table size:

-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 8,7K 20. Mär 22:35 File.frm
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql  83G 21. Mär 01:20 File.ibd

I hope you find this information useful when planning a migration from
myisam to innodb. Feel free to post here if you have further questions
or require more details.

All the best, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA