Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Migrating from myisam to innodb

2013-03-01 16:41:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Migrating from myisam to innodb
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Alan Brown <a.brown AT ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 12:16:05 +0100
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 04:23:20PM +0000, Alan Brown wrote:
> On 26/02/13 09:42, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
>

> >for the record I'd like to give you some stats from our recent myisam
> >-> innodb conversion.
>

> For the sizes you're talking about, I'd recommend:
>
> 1: A _lot_ more memory. 100Gb or so.
>
> and even more strongly:
>
> 2: Postgresql
>

> Mysql is fast and good for small databases, but postgresql scales to
> large sizes with a lot less pain and suffering. Conversion here was
> relatively painless.

Hi Alan & list,

can you point me to some good conversion guides and esp. utlities? I
checked the postgres documentation wiki, but half of the scripts
linked there are dead it seems. I tried converting a mysql dump to pg
using my2pg.pl, but the poor script ran out of memory 30 minutes into
the conversion on the test machine (Centos 6, 8GB RAM ;-)

I'm hoping our File table will get a lot smaller now over time as
we've moved away from copy jobs for the time being, so the conversion
should also get easier as tape volumes with millions of files on them
get recycled and pruned.

All the best, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA