Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Pools not updating Attributes

2013-03-20 17:33:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Pools not updating Attributes
From: Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 17:30:05 -0400
Dear John,
     Thanks for the quick response.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>      I am running bacula-5.2.10 on Solaris 10 x86. I've noticed an
>> issue recently where I've wanted to restrict further restrict the
>> Maximum Volumes in a couple of Pools.
>> I edited the config and changed "Maximum Volumes = 3". I then reloaded
>> and updated the Pools from Resource. It says it successfully updates.
>> I've also tried restarting bacula-dir and then updating the Pools from
>> Resource. Here is my config, names changed to protect the innocent.
>>
>> Pool {
>>   Name = Company-FS_Full
>>   Pool Type = Backup
>>   Storage = Company_Files
>>   Recycle = Yes
>>   AutoPrune = Yes
>>   Volume Retention = 14d
>>   Maximum Volume Jobs = 25
>>   Maximum Volumes = 3
>>   Label Format = Company-FS_Full-
>>   Next Pool = Company_LTO5_Tapes
>> }
>>
>> Pool {
>>   Name = Company-FS_Incr
>>   Pool Type = Backup
>>   Storage = Company_Files
>>   Recycle = Yes
>>   AutoPrune = Yes
>>   Volume Retention = 14d
>>   Maximum Volume Jobs = 150
>>   Maximum Volumes = 3
>>   Label Format = Company-FS_Incr-
>>   Next Pool = Company_LTO5_Tapes
>> }
>>
>> If I run "list pools" in bconsole, I see this:
>> +--------+-----------------------+---------+---------+----------+---------------------+
>> | PoolId | Name                  | NumVols | MaxVols | PoolType |
>> LabelFormat         |
>> +--------+-----------------------+---------+---------+----------+---------------------+
>>
>> |     20 | Company-FS_Full       |       5 |       5 | Backup   |
>> Company-FS_Full-    |
>> |     21 | Company-FS_Incr       |       4 |       5 | Backup   |
>> Company-FS_Incr-    |
>>
>> So not only is Bacula not updating the Maximum Volumes, but its still
>> creating additional volumes still (I had removed some volumes)
>>
>> Can anyone suggest how I can even begin to troubleshoot this?
>>

> This is by design. The pool resource is a template to create new
> volumes. Not alter existing volumes. To fix open bconsole and
>
> update pool from resource

This is precisely what I did. I'm not trying to alter existing
volumes. I'm trying to limit volume creation in the pool. It did not
affect the display of Max Vols in the output, it did not limit Volume
Creation in the Pool, which is by design what Maximum Volumes is
supposed to do.