Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] MySQLdump import seems very slow for "Filename" and "Path" tables

2013-03-16 11:42:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] MySQLdump import seems very slow for "Filename" and "Path" tables
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:39:40 -0400
On 03/16/13 05:54, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been warned re-importing an innodb mysql database was slow, but I
> hadn't expected it to be *this* slow.

The basic problem here is that mysqldump has not aged or scaled well,
and badly needs to be put out to pasture in favor of something better.
I won't go into all of its failings here; suffice it to say that there
are many of them.

One better alternative is mydumper.  Just for starters, it can dump and
restore in parallel, and it inherently understands transactional and
non-transactional storage engines and can correctly back up both in a
single run on a table-by-table basis, something which is simply not
possible with mysqldump.  However, it's still not hugely faster for
restores than mysqldump because it's still a logical dump and mysqld
still has to re-execute all the SQL.

Another option is Percona's XtraBackup, which does a binary backup
rather than a logical dump.  It is much faster both to back up and
restore, but restores are all-or-nothing and the backup is not
guaranteed portable across architectures or operating systems.  It's
also very much some-assembly-required, and the documentation is terrible.

Probably the best tool currently available is MySQL Enterprise Backup,
but as the name implies it requires a MySQL Enterprise license.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.