Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Best way to perform a backup for Sql Server 2012

2013-03-07 01:57:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Best way to perform a backup for Sql Server 2012
From: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>, Carlo Filippetto <carlo.filippetto AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 06:54:17 +0000

> > I would use the T-SQL  backup command to backup the sql database to a
> > file then have bacula backup that file. I have tried scripting dumps
> > however it seems that the T-SQL BACKUP / RESTORE works better than the
> > management studio scripting to .sql ( at least in my testing).
>

> What he said.
>
> I'm a big fan of dumping to text, backing up that text.
>
> To be sure, copy that text to another server, then load that DB up and see
> how it goes.  I do that every day for every database I backup.

What I do is:

. Full backup once a week
. Diff backup once a day
. Log backups hourly (done completely separately of backup)

The full and diff backups are done via an SQL script that enumerates all
databases and backs them all up. I don't have a way of excluding backups at
this time.
After each full backup runs:
Restore a copy of master, model, and msdb to an alternate location then detach

The last step is done because you need master, model, and msdb in place to
bootstrap mssql so having these present is really useful.

I can post scripts but would need to redact them first :)

James