Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Best way to perform a backup for Sql Server 2012

2013-03-05 10:23:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Best way to perform a backup for Sql Server 2012
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Carlo Filippetto <carlo.filippetto AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 19:20:53 +0400
On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 15:59:58 +0100
Carlo Filippetto <carlo.filippetto AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> as I write in the subject I need to backup Sql Server 2012, you have
> any idea on how to optimize the process and have a consistend DB
>
> I thought to make a dump script and backup it, but how?
> Any other ideas?

Microsoft SQL Server has the "VSS writer" so you just have to enable VSS
for your backup job and then copy the database files (not transaction
log files though!) "as is" -- when the Bacula file daemon will enable
VSS on the requested volume(s), MSSQL server will flush any pending
changes to its database files and then the file daemon will copy them
from the shadow partition while they have consistent state.

You can see that VSS writer in the output of the
"vssadmin list writers" command run from the command prompt.

Another approach is to script running backups of the database files,
perform this script in the "[Client] Run Before Job", and then back
up the resulting backup files.