Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backing up the backups: filesystem copy or 2nd rotation?

2013-03-06 13:25:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backing up the backups: filesystem copy or 2nd rotation?
From: Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 15:21:45 -0300

2013/3/4 Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>

I've recently implemented a new "offline backup" methodology where we
just copy the most recent full online backups for all clients to tape,
using a bacula job.

The downside is you won't be able to use file-level restore on those
volumes, but with bls, bscan and bextract there are quite a few tools
available to "simulate" file level restores once you have restored the
disk backup volumes from tape (1 file per job, separate full /
incr. pools for every client).

Well, I too use Copy Jobs to make a "backup-of-the-backup" in my environment, and I CAN restore files from those copies.
In bconsole, use "restore copies" that Bacula will automatically use the Copy Tapes instead of the original tapes (or disk, in your case).

But of course, if you lose your Bacula Database, than all there is left if btape/bls to work with.