Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backing up the backups: filesystem copy or 2nd rotation?

2013-03-04 05:10:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backing up the backups: filesystem copy or 2nd rotation?
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: ixloran AT sent DOT at
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 11:07:53 +0100
On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 10:50:49PM -0800, ixloran AT sent DOT at wrote:
> hello
>
> i've set up Bacula to back up multiple machines on my LAN.
>
> i've created a strategy/rotation of full, differential & incremental
> backups.
>
> with all backups going only to hard drive volumes on a single NAS
> device, so far so good.
>
> i want to put in place some "backup of the backup".
>
> i'm considering two options:
>
> (1) make a filesytem copy of a Bacula storage Volume from the NAS to
> another device
>
> or
>
> (2) set up a 2nd rotation of backups to the 2nd device
>
> iiuc, both get the job done.
>
> which of the 2 approaches are recommended?

I've recently implemented a new "offline backup" methodology where we
just copy the most recent full online backups for all clients to tape,
using a bacula job.

The downside is you won't be able to use file-level restore on those
volumes, but with bls, bscan and bextract there are quite a few tools
available to "simulate" file level restores once you have restored the
disk backup volumes from tape (1 file per job, separate full /
incr. pools for every client).

The upside is that your catalog probably won't blow up like ours did once we
started
running 100s of copy jobs.

All the best, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA