Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] multiple tape drives

2013-02-05 10:15:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] multiple tape drives
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 10:12:38 -0500
On 2/4/2013 7:56 PM, Jonathan Horne wrote:
> My boss needs me to take the 2 tape drives inside the PV4000 and form
> them into 1 logical drive and stripe the backups across them
> simultaneously.  Please help me figure this out, is this possible?

Bacula expects to read/write a volume from a single device. You would
therefore need a device driver similar to Linux md that acts as a proxy
taking reads and writes from the user-mode application and performing
them by making reads and writes over one or more st devices. There are
also some RAIT hardware devices that handle the striping, etc. in
hardware, so still present a single device to Bacula.

If speed is the issue, then it would be far easier to simply run
multiple concurrent jobs to utilize both drives simultaneously, use data
and attribute spooling to fast disk, and make sure the database is fast
enough to keep up, (moving the database to SSD storage helps out there).