Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] question on accurate incrementals

2013-02-04 23:02:54
Subject: [Bacula-users] question on accurate incrementals
From: Jeff Dickens <jeff AT seamanpaper DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 22:58:54 -0500
Hi.  I'm redesigning my Bacula setup as I deploy some new file servers.  I've done some experimenting, and I just want to clear up my understanding on a few points.

I'm running 5.2.12 with the director on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.  The FDs and SDs are on QNAP NAS boxes with a 5.2.12 package that I have built and installed.  I use the 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=' to let the Bacula daemons find their libraries in /opt/lib.

In my test setup I have a full pool and an incremental pool defined, and the fileset specifies "accurate = sm".  The incremental pool specifies

Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
Maximum Volumes = 3
Purge Oldest Volume = yes

In my test I did first ran a full then did the following:

Modify file1
Run Incremental
Modify file2
Run Incremental
Modify file3
Run Incremental

At this point I have three volumes in my incremental pool.  The first contains only file1, the second only file2 and the third only file3.

Modify file4
Run Incremental

At this point I still have only three volumes in my incremental pool, since I've told it to limit the number of volumes and purge the oldest. At this point one incremental contains file2, one contains file3, and the latest contains file1 and file4, because when the fourth incremental job started up and purged the first-used incremental volume, the modified version of file1 was no longer on any backup.  The accurate code picked this up and put file1 on the fourth incremental.

Modify file5
Run Incremental

Now one incremental contains file3, one contains file1 and file4 and one contains file2 and file5.

Now this actually seems to work pretty well.  All the files are backed up and each in only one place.   So the first question is: Does this seem like a reasonable approach?  The second question is: What is the relationship between the Full backup frequency and the optimum number of volumes in the incremental pool, assuming a daily incremental?

Thanks all.

--
     Jeff Dickens
     IT Manager      978-632-1513