Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] two seperate processes transferring data?

2012-10-17 23:31:24
Subject: [Bacula-users] two seperate processes transferring data?
From: Mr5o1 <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 19:31:18 -0700
Hi All..

Been running through my first install, bit of a learning curve, but I think
I've gotten there.

My fileset is large, and bandwidth is a big issue (backing up via internet). So
I've been keeping a close eye.

nethogs (debian util for monitoring processes and bandwidth) shows two seperate
processes sharing nearly equal bandwidth (though the rates do fluctuate) during
a transfer. These two processes saturate my internet connection (for outbound
data anyway). But when I check the transfer rate in the console, it only seems
to be half of what I'd expect (so only one of those processes?)

To illustrate: my maximum upload bandwidth for the machine running bacula-fd is
around 100KBps, watching nethogs on that machine shows two processes
("/usr/sbin/bacula-fd" and "sshd:root @notty") each fluctuating between 40KBps
and 60KBps. So between the two of them they saturate the upload bandwidth for
that machine or internet connection. However, when I check "status
job-d=foobar" on bconsole, the transfer rate hovers around 50KBps, suggesting
that only one of those processes is actually transmitting data.

I did read somewhere that bacula-dir does run two connections to bacula-fd
during a backup, one for data and one for attributes. But would the attributes
really comprise that much data?