Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] two seperate processes transferring data?

2012-10-19 11:37:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] two seperate processes transferring data?
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 16:35:21 +0100

> Hi All..
>
> Been running through my first install, bit of a learning curve, but I think
> I've gotten there.
>
> My fileset is large, and bandwidth is a big issue (backing up via
> internet). So I've been keeping a close eye.
>
> nethogs (debian util for monitoring processes and bandwidth) shows two
> seperate processes sharing nearly equal bandwidth (though the rates do
> fluctuate) during a transfer. These two processes saturate my internet
> connection (for outbound data anyway). But when I check the transfer rate in
> the console, it only seems to be half of what I'd expect (so only one of
> those processes?)
>
> To illustrate: my maximum upload bandwidth for the machine running bacula-fd
> is around 100KBps, watching nethogs on that machine shows two processes
> ("/usr/sbin/bacula-fd" and "sshd:root @notty") each fluctuating between
> 40KBps and 60KBps. So between the two of them they saturate the upload
> bandwidth for that machine or internet connection. However, when I check
> "status job-d=foobar" on bconsole, the transfer rate hovers around 50KBps,
> suggesting that only one of those processes is actually transmitting data.
>
> I did read somewhere that bacula-dir does run two connections to bacula-fd
> during a backup, one for data and one for attributes. But would the
> attributes really comprise that much data?

No, bacula-fd sends the attributes and data to bacula-sd using a single
connection (bacula-sd sends the attributes to bacula-dir.)

Are you using sshd as a tunnel?  If so, then bacula-fd would send everything
to sshd on localhost and sshd would send it to the bacula-sd (via ssh).
Possibly nethogs isn't showing per-network statistics?  Also, possibly sshd's
tunnel mechanism uses some bandwidth?

__Martin