Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Extremely Slow Performance on VMware

2012-09-28 12:17:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Extremely Slow Performance on VMware
From: Rodrigo Abrantes Antunes <rodrigoantunes AT pelotas.ifsul.edu DOT br>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 13:15:05 -0300

I have a physical machine that is a Vmware ESX node wich hosts only one vm, the one with bacula-director, bacula-sd and bacula-fd (called bacula-server), this vm has an RDM with the fibre channel storage where the volumes partition is mounted. Then I have all my clients (some are physycal machines and others are vms in other ESX nodes) with bacula-fd that are backed up. When I manually run a job to backup one of these clients in bacula-server I can see (with the command htop) that bacula-sd is using 100% of the cpu, I also noted that the backup starts at around 4MB/s and after some time it is around 300KB/s. If I simple send the same files to be backed up with scp for example the transfer goes around 100MB/s. The vms don't have vmstat, I use linux own commands.

Citando Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers AT vanadgroup DOT com>:

Op 20120927 om 21:55 schreef Rodrigo Abrantes Antunes:

Citando Davide Franco <dfranco AT dflc DOT ch>:
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Rodrigo Abrantes Antunes wrote:

> Hi, I'm having extremely slow performance when backing up, a 10gb
> backup took around 3h. Where should I start looking?
>
> During a backup I can see bacula-sd using 100% cpu, memory usage is
> normal. My system is a vmware virtual machine with a cpu with two
> 2,5ghz cores and 2gb ram. The vm have a separate partition for the
> volumes using ext4 and mounted via RDM in a fc storage array with
> raid6. I tried mapping more cores and more ram for the vm with the same
> result so I don't think the problem is lack of resources.

giving more informations like

<snip/>

will give us more ideas to troubleshoot your problem.

Director: 5.0.1-1ubuntu1
Storage: 5.0.1-1ubuntu1
FD: 5.0.1-1ubuntu1 (some clients have lower version)
Database: mysqI
OS: Ubuntu 10.04.4 x64 Server
FC Storage 4 GBits/s.
All my network is Gigabit Ethernet.

Yes, and how is the further design?

In others words: The provided list can read as
One physical computer with fibre channel disk hosts all the VMs.
If it is so, then tell so. Otherwise eloborate the setup, the design.

One question: can vmware tools have any influence in this case? From what I
know vmware tools is mainly for better graphics performance  isn't it? I din't
installed it.

There could also be beter disk drivers. The virtio drivers come to mind.

Back to

> During a backup I can see bacula-sd using 100% cpu,

And where did you see the "100%"? ( Which tool was used to read that
performance valule? )

I would like to see the output of

            vmstat 2 5

during non-back-up-time and also the output of

            vmstat 2 5

during back-up-time. Thing I'm interrested in, are the CPU columns.
Especial the colums "system" and "wait".

<screenshot>
$ vmstat 2 3
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa
0  0   6712  11360 192584 159120    0    0     5     4    6   11  5  6 90  0
0  0   6712  11344 192584 159120    0    0     0     0   67  342  7 15 79  0
0  0   6712  11344 192584 159120    0    0     0     0   65  340  8 14 78  0
</screenshot>

And to avoid an extra e-mail exchange:
I'm asking for 2 to the power 3, so 8 measurements.

So 2 moments (during backup or outside backup)
on 2 Bacula compoments ( storage deamon and file deamon ) on the VMs
on 2 physical hosts.

Yes, that means that I assume the VMware hosts have a 'vmstat' command.
That is because I'm not familair with VMware, I'm from the Xen world :-)

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--
http://www.vanadcimplicity.com/